Accelerating Market Transformation toward Energy Efficient Appliances in India
India's Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) and CLASP hosted a major workshop in early February 2012 that focused on accelerating market transformation toward energy efficient appliances through standards and labeling (S&L).
The workshop, held in New Delhi, demonstrated the development of India's S&L network over the last few years with nearly 100 participants, including representatives from BEE and the US Department of Energy (DOE), product testing laboratories, appliance manufacturers, advocacy organizations, consumer associations, and technical experts.
In a special session, senior officials from the governments of India and the US emphasized the importance of appliance S&L in accelerating the pace of market transformation. Dr. Ajay Mathur, Director General of BEE, asserted the significance of and India's commitment to improving transitions to more stringent S&L. Dr. Mathur also commented on the need to support India's Super-Efficient Equipment Program (SEEP) through outreach, monitoring, and verification; and the key role that rapid adoption of energy-efficient appliances can play in alleviating peak power load. Rick Duke, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Climate Policy at DOE, encouraged all stakeholders to continue collaborative efforts to address barriers to energy efficiency and achieve more successful market transformation in the long term. Mr. Duke also highlighted that the SEAD initiative drives this same type of collaboration on an international scale.
The two-day workshop included presentations and panel discussions on all aspects of S&L, including:
- The critical need to increase efficiency standards for products that are currently covered under BEE's S&L scheme;
- The importance of expanding the scope of Indian S&L by covering new product classes, such as consumer electronics;
- Potential future directions and improvements for SEEP, India’s new domestic incentive program; and
- Building product testing laboratory capacity to enhance monitoring, verification, and enforcement (MV&E).
The event deepened collaboration among between technical experts, policymakers, and other stakeholders. Following this successful S&L workshop, BEE and CLASP are committed to hosting similar collaborative events in the future.
Click here to download the workshop agenda. Presentations are available for download below.
First Session: Indian S&L - Expanding and Deepening
- ICF: Accelerating S&L: Deepening & Broadening of Existing S&L Program
- CLASP: Accelerating the Standards Process in India for LEDs
- PwC: Market & Technical Assessment of Inverter, UPS, Voltage Stabilizer and Inverter batteries for star labeling
Second Session: Market Transformation in India
- Prayas Energy Group: Super-Efficient Equipment Program (SEEP)
- Central Electricity Authority: SEEP and Market Transformation in India
Third Session: Market Transformation: National and International Initiatives and Collaboration
First Session: Monitoring, Verification, and Enforcement
- CLASP: Monitoring, Verification & Evaluation: Essential Program Planning
- BEE: BEE Laboratory Capacity Development Program
- PwC: Capacity building of laboratories in India
- Intertek: Lab role in market transformation
- CPRI: Central Power Research Institute
- UL India: Laboratory Capacity and Product Testing: State of Play in India
Second Session: S&L Tools and Resources for India